From the messy desk of a procrastinating med student

Saturday, April 15, 2006

They should pay me to consult on these things


If there are 'boy seats' installed in dress shops for bored husbands and boyfriends, why can't the courtesy be extended to 'girl seats' in car yards, warehouses and other retail outlets currently perpetrating widespread female torture?

Haven't we, as the female race, been through enough without having to be dragged through these places and consulted on the most appropriate choice of screw, hinge or drill bit? Surely the torture should stop at childbirth, Oprah shows, XX waxing and being the only one who ever cleans the bathroom? (The XX waxing is a post in itself!)

I can barely walk in hardware shops. It's my warehouse legs. It's like I'm pulled aside in the carpark and forced to accept intravenous jelly infusions into the backs of both legs, while having each shoe surreptitiously filled with 35kg of wet concrete.

I think the warehouse legs come about just because I hate those places so much. They are so dusty, so huge, boiling hot (or freezing cold) and full of wide-bottomed people walking too slowly. And I'm always either thirsty or hungover (or both!).

The 'girl seat' idea occurred to me this morning as I was being dragged around Aussie hardware shop Bunning's Warehouse, to buy, er, important provisions. What could possibly be the problem with having the odd strategically positioned seat, in a non-dusty area, with hunky topless (potentially overall clad) men serving martinis to anyone that doesn't really want to be there?

I know, I know, it is 2006 and we girls are supposed to be doing it for ourselves: drill weilding, welding, boot wearing etc. I'm all for that. But if it's not my project, and I'm not going to be the one hammering in the nails, then the bf is going to be forced to drag me around like a six year old kid in a mattress shop.

(Warehouse legs aside tho, the suffering bf is spending his weekend building me my very own built-in bench seat in the back courtyard. It's a bit exciting: I'll post photos of progress.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Janet said...

I get those legs in museums!

5:34 PM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous Future Dr Cara said...

You know, you're on to something here. I hate waking around the freckin' auto parts store. I want a giry seat, and a stack of magazines I can look through while I wait. :D

1:10 AM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lish said...

I should have never given away that marketing career.

PS - Love your blog! I can so relate to your stories.

I'm doing my neuro block starting next week.... could well be adding some physiology questions to the 'ask dr cara' section!

x

10:34 AM GMT+9:30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home