From the messy desk of a procrastinating med student

Saturday, April 29, 2006

The things that happen when you are home alone and supposed to be studying

My neighbour just walked in on me.

Which isn't usually a problem, except for the fact that I was dressed in a singlet and knickers, waltzing around the living room and belting out a few notes while Nina Simone's My Baby Just Cares For Me cranked on my crappy CashConverters stereo. I was clutching a huge glass of port. At half past three in the afternoon.

The neighbour turned an impossible shade of beetroot and said he'd come back later.

Yeah, yeah, OK. I know I am a seventy-five year old man in a twenty-seven year old med student body (and I don't care).

Just in case you wanted to sing along at home:

My baby don’t care for shows
My baby don’t care for clothes
My baby just cares for me
My baby don’t care for cars and races
My baby don’t care for high-tone places

Liz Taylor is not his style
And even Lana Turner’s smile
Is somethin’ he can’t see
My baby don’t care who knows
My baby just cares for me

Baby, my baby don’t care for shows
And he don’t even care for clothes
He cares for me
My baby don’t care
For cars and races
My baby don’t care for
He don’t care for high-tone places

Liz Taylor is not his style
And even Liberace’s smile
Is something he can’t see
Is something he can’t see
I wonder what’s wrong with baby
My baby just cares for
My baby just cares for
My baby just cares for me


Dancing in your underwear while knocking back fortified wine has just joined a very long list of things that are More Fun Than Studying (MFTS).

If you have any other unusual activities that I can add to my MFTS list, do leave a comment!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Now that is one great tune, lady.

MFTS: lounging on the sofa with a laptop purchasing unecessary items online, dressed in your pyjamas and drinking a very large glass of wine.

8:16 AM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lish said...

That one would be very high on the list! Especially if the wine is a big expensive shiraz from South Australia.

(Although, that one could also go on the Things You Can't Afford to Do Anymore Because You Went Back To Uni)

;)

8:37 AM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous Adrian said...

Um, what's a singlet?

I have some suggestions but none of them are ... um ... work safe.

11:25 PM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Annie said...

Hi Lish. I can think of some... having a long bath (glass of wine optional), re-alphabetizing music/books, baking a big cake, deciding the house urgently needs repainting... And don't forget blogging ;-)

12:23 AM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous cara said...

oh, girl, I have a HUGE list of stuff that is more fun than studying! Like, plucking my eyebrows... trimming my toenails... ;)

Actually, I play a lot of "Guitar Hero" on the Playstation (I get to pretend to be a rock star!!)

4:28 PM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lish said...

Adrian - a singlet? Well, if you are insane and you live in a frigid cold place (like England) then you wear it under your 57 layers of clothing to keep you warm.

If you live in Australia, it is a sleevless, thin top that you wear with your underpants while you dance and drink port.

Cara - ooh, play station. Another one for the Things You Can't Afford Because You Live Below The Poverty Line list.. Probably just as well, as I am such a procrastinator, I'd never open the neuro books at all! xxx

Annie - hello! You'll be pleased to know that I have repainted every surface of my house since starting medicine!

5:50 PM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous Adrian said...

Actually it's not so cold at the moment. Spring and all.

So is a singlet like a girlie version of a wifebeater?

8:40 PM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lish said...

Adrian - yes! But without the body hair and beer gut.

10:29 PM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous Adrian said...

Right. So much sexier indeed.

8:38 AM GMT+9:30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home