From the messy desk of a procrastinating med student

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Bully


One of the reasons why I know I'm going to be a good doctor is that I'm mean and I enjoy inflicting pain on others.

I put this trait to good use last night at the gym. I decided that I would take on the role of Personal Trainer for the man-thing.

You see, the man-thing and I have been going to the gym for about six months, and have been starting to fall into a bit of a rut: things have been getting a bit boring, a bit easy, a bit ho-hum. But from here on in, I'm putting on my mean face and we're getting serious!

Two things are spurring me on to make me act like a psycho army PT instructor:

1. The completion of the Biggest Loser Australia series. Many of the contestants were twice my weight and had never done any exercise before, and yet they were doing some serious, sweaty, grunty training. Good on them. Inspiring!

2. The return of the football season. Oooh, some of those boys are hot. Now, I do love the man-thing for the lovely, kind-hearted, artistic bloke he is, but, well, I think I might love him even more if he looks like Matthew Primus (right).

So before the gym yesterday, I did some internet surfing and found some hard-core exercises for us to do (this is another activity that could be added to the MFTS list, see the last post).

In the end, we spent about thirty minutes climbing Everest on the treadmill before hitting the weights room.

We limped out of the gym after about an hour of sweating, grimacing, groaning and gnashing of teeth (and that was just the people watching us). The focus was on core strength, with some squats, lungs, bench presses and (attempted) chin-ups thrown in.

Here is my favourite, scary looking exercise from last night. Give it a try. It is sure to impress the other worker-outers at the gym. Even if, like me, you can't lift your arms the next day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Adrian said...

That looks totally rough. Fortunately with my broken shoulder, that rules me out.

I have to hit the gym though, I'm 7kgs and 5% body fat up from this time last year. Perhaps some running tomorrow morning.

8:38 PM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lisa said...

I love "The Biggest Loser"! We get the US and UK edition. Totally addictive.

For great workout information from a witty woman's perspective, see: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

She's fantastic and has a lot of great articles.

11:30 PM GMT+9:30

 
Anonymous Adrian said...

I don't think we have the biggest looser, or if we do, I haven't seen it.

I have seen and read stumptuous before. It is really good.

5:34 PM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Shazam! said...

You should check out www.crossfit.com if you want to get totally ripped and sexy.

11:36 AM GMT+9:30

 
Blogger Lish said...

Thanks for the tips Lisa & Shazam.

Shazam - checked the site. Super ripped, yes. Not sure about sexy though. Some of those guys are pretty scary and enormous!

Adrian - get jogging buddy! No slacking. If you live in London, check out the NikeTown run tuesday runs - 3, 4.5 and 7 miles, and free muffins after. You can even borrow their shoes, and there are cute little jogging Nike men who run with you and encourage you! I loved it when I lived there.

5:55 PM GMT+9:30

 

Post a Comment

<< Home